Improved support for WorkItems?

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Hi, do you have any plans to improve the support for WorkItems? There is a WorkItem class in the framework, but it lacks many of the features available in SCSF on the desktop, such as the relationship between a WorkItem and it's SmartParts and the ability to track status. I understand that the IoC Framework is not meant to be a mobile version of SCSF, but it would be useful to use WorkItem for building use cases like you do in SCSF.

Thanks,

klei0777

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2012 at 8:01 PM

You're correct that we're not trying to make IoC be a mobile version SCSF. That said, if extending WorkItes would help you do your job, then it's definitely something we can consider.  We'd need to know what type of support/extensions you'd be interested in.  If you could create a very simple desktop app that shows your usage of a WorkItem, we can eitehr work to get it working under IoC or at least point you in the right direction.

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM

My original intention was to use the status of a WorkItem to control flow through individual use cases. However, after further investigation of SCSF, I realized that a SmartPart activates its parent WorkItem, even if you use the SmartPart from a different WorkItem. Our application currently has 1 DeckWorkspace and 50+ SmartParts, some of which are used in multiple workflows, meaning my original approach isn't going to work. I found an alternative solution but wanted to say thanks for the IoC Framework. It's been critical to the design of our application.

klei0777